Sunday 13 January 2013

Understanding Makeup Part Three: Face

Finally, the third and final Understanding Makeup post! Again, I apologize for the lack of posting, but it's the end of the semester, which means tons of final projects and lots of studying for exams. Ewwwww

But anywho, this post will be all about face makeup. Let's goooo!

Foundation
Personally, I do not cover my entire face with foundation. I usually just apply it where I have a blemish. This makeup is great for those icky days where you have a zit that is bugging the heck outta you. Foundation is also great for evening out your skin tone. When buying some, always avoid buying one that is way too dark or way too light for your skin tone. There will most likely be someone at the store who can help you find your right shade, so don't be afraid to ask! Foundation can also come in a pressed powder form. The foundation that I am currently using is the Natureluxe Silk Foundation from Covergirl. I've written a review about it already, but just to summerize, it's very lightweight and doesn't make your skin feel tight!
 http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/prodimages/natureluxe_liquid_silk_foundation_1.jpg


Concealer
ALWAYS BE SURE YOU BUY ONE THAT MATCHES YOUR FOUNDATION. I capitalized that whole sentence because believe it or not I've seen one too many girls who weren't too smart when they bought their concealers/ foundations. However, I always tell people that it is okay to buy a concealer that is a shade or two darker then their foundation. It's better that way than to have it too light and make it look like one of those terrible 'I fell asleep outside in the sun while wearing sunglasses' looks. Who wants that? Anyways, a good reason to have concealer around is to hide those annoying dark circles most people get under their eyes. Foundation can hide them a little bit, but it is a bit thinner than concealor, therefore it is not the best choice Concealer is also great to cover up any redness you may have around your nose and mouth. I recommend the PhotoReady Concealer from Revlon.
  
Primers
Don't you hate it when you put on your makeup and look all fancy-shmancy just before going out, and when you get home it's all smudged and in places it wasn't before? Ugh, it's terrible. That's why I love primer. Face primer, eye primer, eyelid primer. I personally only use eye lid primer because, like I said before, I don't like to put makeup all over my face. Eyelid primer saves the day for me. It stops my eye shadows and liners from creasing and smudging. When you apply it, it smoothes out your lid to make the job of applying makeup easier and leaves it looking better. The eyelid primer that I would recommend is elf's Eyelid Primer (which by the way, is only $1. ONE WHOLE DOLLAR!) 

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0awxw9WmE1qzaz2w.jpg

Bronzers/Blushes
I'd have to say that one of the biggest makeup faux-pas trends that are out there these days is the abuse of bronzers. Yes, it will make you appear more tanned, but use too much of it and you'll end up looking like a carrot. I'm sorry but if you want to be darker, I recommend just going out and tanning. Or better yet, love the skin you're in. Embrace it! You don't need to be tanned all year round! I prefer using bronzers as a highlighter to contour my face. Suck in your cheeks and apply to the hollows of them. Then highlight right around your hairline and temples. Finally, make sure you get around your neck and under your chin to make sure your face doesn't end up being darker than everywhere else. For blushes, opt for something that doesn't show easily. And in my honest opinion, I do not prefer ones that shimmer. I don't like the look of a sparkly face. To apply, simply smile and put on the apples your cheeks in a circular motion. Covergirl's line of blush is a great one to use! 

Cheekers Blush

I don't have much to say in terms of brushes, but anything that is soft and doesn't shed is a keeper! 

I hope you guys enjoyed reading these last three posts on makeup, and I certainly hope it has expanded your knowledge on how to apply it, and which tools and products are best to use! Once exams are over with, I will hopefully have more time to post other things. Oh, and I always love hearing your feedback so please let me know what you guys think of how I'm doing so far!

xx Mandy

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your Understanding Makeup trilogy so far. Yes, it's true that it's easy to overdo bronzers and make you look terribly odd.

    The right tools to apply foundation with is so essential too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you're liking it! :) And yes, you really need to know how to apply anything like that properly!
      xx Mandy

      Delete